I created a custom field group which contained eleven (11) fields of type checkbox list, numbers and text.
I associated this custom field group to two (2) custom post types and was using them to prepare simple test data.
When I went to make a minor change to one of the fields, ALL eleven fields disappeared. The field group was still there, but the associated fields were completely gone.
I was able to recreate the fields in the field group.
Because my site is still in development, I was able to recreate the test data very readily.
However, if my site had been in a production state, this would have been a serious issue.
Is this a known issue?
Is there any prescribed recovery?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Can you please share a screen record of this issue? And export the field group to a JSON file, I will test it on my demo site. Refer to the documentation https://docs.metabox.io/extensions/meta-box-builder/#export--import
Thanks for your response.
I have no screen record of the issue. I noticed the problem, repaired it, then reported it.
I have a json file with the repaired field group, but I do not know how to attach it to my reply using this form.
If possible, I will attach it to an email response.
You can upload the JSON file to Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link here. But if the issue does not happen with the repaired field group, no need to share it. I think it happens because you've clicked the Update button when editing the field group twice: first click Update, then the fields are not displayed and click Update again >> all of the fields are gone.
And currently, there is no way to recover the fields. You will need to re-create them manually.
I created the field group at least two weeks ago and did not make any changes to it. I was using the fields in the two custom post types to capture data, and they were included in a WS-Form form.
When I went in to modify the structure of two of the fields, ALL of the fields were gone. So, I don't believe that this issue involved any double-clicking of the Update button. From what I can see, all of the field-level details become disassociated from the field group itself.
As I mentioned, my site is still in development, therefore this particular issue was a minor inconvenience that is easily repaired. My real concern is the risk of this happening after my site has gone into production and how I would recover from it, specifically to restore or re-capture the data values for each affected post.
In any case, I will monitor the situation and advise of any issues.
Please close this ticket.
I once had something similar occur. Increasing max_input_vars Solved it for me:
However, I am beginning to suspect that Peter's explanation may be correct. That is, when I open a given Field Group, there is a delay until the list of fields appears. IF the Update button is pressed during that interval (i.e. when no fields have been loaded to the display) then the Field Group itself is updated with no fields.
Perhaps an appropriate warning message would be a good idea.